PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 16:14
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LINK TRAINER

I am in the process of trying to establish the types of "flight simulators" that they had at St Athan in 1943 / 1944 .... some say they were just static cockkpits whilst others say they were "prototype" flight simulators with movement.
[IMG][/IMG]
Petet this is a pic of the Link trainer, which was at most training schools and I would imagine we as P.F.Es would also use at St Athans. The hood was closed, after which we were instructed to fly using 'needle ball airspeed to climb descend.change course, maintain height and airspeed, . The Link tilted, in all directions responding to joystick , rudder pedals etc. A chart gave a print out of all movements. Think we would also practice standard beam approach etc on this.

Keep up your requests for info on F/Es you may be lucky and find a wartime straight F/E , as I have done in the past. I have triied to encourage all trades to join in, but it is hard going. Did send dozens of E.Ms to German museums, and Luftwaffe associations asking for contributions, but all to no avail. Will try and answer more of your questions later, but due to medical conditions, plus two teeth extractions yesterday, I'm 'not quite with it.' Are you sure you have accessed all my photobucket albums ? There are many pics of my hand written notes. written whilst on the F/Es course at St Athan.

Last edited by cliffnemo; 22nd Feb 2012 at 16:39.