PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC RATING
Thread: IMC RATING
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 12:26
italianjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the important point though is that they are all tools... VOR/DME/GPS/NDB even Mk I Eyeball. When I fly I try not to rely on one thing and instead sort of cross check all the info and make sure that it makes sense to me. I did an NQ and IMC at the same time, and I can say that (although for the test I had to use one at a time) I now fly with most of them but will always consider what it is telling me.

Having now done both NQ and IMC I can say that I agree with the sentiment. I think an NQ is moderately unnecessary after an IMC, the only thing that I found odd was landing, because you have reduced reference, but a few circuits and I felt OK. The big eye opener for me was how invisible the clouds are; but as I popped into one towards the end of my IMC course I was able to use the Instruments and descend out of the cloud. I probably would have maintained altitude but it was middle of winter and probably above the freezing level.

On the subject of EIR, a thought I had... EASA seem to be making the statement that it has to be VMC-able at both departure and arrival aerodrome. But I am assuming that they will teach you how to climb and descend on instruments to adhere to the semi-circle or quadrantle rule... therefore by inference you may climb into or descend out of cloud. So how far away from the arrival aerodrome do you need to become VMC? As far as I can see if Cloudbase is high enough and above MSA, then you could just descend through the clouds, while en-route, and then arrive VMC?