PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 10:50
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Danny, the memory does indeed fade over the years, it is true. Mine certainly does anyway. The magic these days is that the internet allows of the dotting of those forgotten i's and the crossing of the unknown t's. Those who have been at war often relate their own vivid corner of it, but by the same token have, and indeed then had, little idea of how it related to the grander scheme of things. I expect that Cliff and your fellow raconteurs have not only had the satisfaction of recording here their unique historic accounts for posterity, but of having learnt at the same time such forgotten or unknown details for themselves. What you might call a win win scenario!
As to the seemingly few members posting reactions, I can only endorse your plea for more. If you look to the RHS of the thread title in the Military Aircrew Thread Listing you will see two numbers, ie the total number of posts and the total viewings of the thread. The latter of course is several orders in excess of the former, as with many threads. In a way it is rather like publishing a newspaper or magazine article. Yes, you will get some feedback in letters to the editor, but the great majority of readers do just that, ie read! As long as this thread remains well read, as it clearly is, then your posts are obviously valued. I know it is difficult for you guys to accept, but your testimony of those critical and fateful years in this country's history is highly prized and revered. The irony is that the less we tend to stand you all on a pedestal the more forthcoming and less reserved will be your response. I hope that I have the nub of it there Danny, both for you, for your existing correspondents, and for those yet to dip their toes into the water.
The point of my rambling is to encourage everyone to show Danny, et al, how valued are their posts by keeping a varied dialogue going. The subject is rich and varied; flying, cultural differences, girls, music, diet, administrative procedures, money, fear, resolve, fate, technical issues,.... er did I mention girls? In a way the more mundane the question the more revealing the answer. Try it. Chip in. It will all help.
Back to you Danny. Congratulations on your first solo! My next door neighbour sadly passed away last year. Having spoken with him about flying (I was then an active pilot), he revealed that he had trained in Rhodesia as a pilot. All of his course expected to be posted to BC when they had earned their wings, but VE Day came and so they were told to expect to go to the Far East instead. Then VJ Day came and so they were sent home for demob. That was his story anyway. His brother, at his funeral oration, let slip that Stan had crashed his Tiger Moth on his first solo, and that is why he hadn't become a pilot! Whatever the truth of the matter he, like all of you, was playing for very high stakes. It is for those who didn't cheat Lady Luck that your tales need telling. We owe it to their memory, do we not?

Last edited by Chugalug2; 22nd Feb 2012 at 11:02.