PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces pension
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 09:52
Mightycrewseven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extremely Difficult Decision Time

OK, I'm now completely stumped as to what direction to take now.

I have already passed my IP and am serving to 55yrs, which puts me in a position that I can leave (under Early Termination (pka PVR) with my AFPS 75 pension intact at any time - a very good place to be!

As a top level Flt Lt (Level 9) and having just missed out on promotion over the previous few years, without any carrots now is a good time to consider my options outwith the RAF. However, totally out of the blue and unexpected, I have been offerd PAS - very happy days! Only problem is, the 5yrs Return of Service that acceptance of PAS demands takes me beyond the 2015 Service Pension Change. Moreover, as a previous poster highlighted, I have just turned 40 and will therefore not be 'protected' from any pension changes that are likely to arise in 2015 (clever move by the government to get Seniors (45yo +) to not kick up any fuss!).

My issue is that without the Basic Framework details I feel that I cannot make an informed decision as to whether accept the offer. If I accept, I obviously achieve a better pension but I risk losing more by not having an option to leave if the changes are drastic

What would my employment rights be if I accepted the offer but then tried to leave inside the 5yr RoS???