PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Seniority System
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 00:25
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
migrant

You sound like you have mistaken me for some wannabe. WRONG. If you want a lesson in CX’s expansion plans and cockpit crew progression times I suggest sunshine you listen up to the people like me who have been here for some time. For the record progression times at CX have not come down since the early 1990’s. In that time CX has gone from about 25 aircraft to 130+. Command times have gone from about 2½ years from DOJ to 12 years. The majority of the 90 odd aircraft on order are replacements for the A340/B744 fleet and older A330’s/B777's. The net effect is that over the next 10 years the fleet will expand by about 40 aircraft based on today’s orders. When you also take into account that CX raised the retirement age 2 years ago from 55 to 65 the upgrades required to crew these 40 odd net new aircraft is significantly reduced. So when people like me tell you time to command will be about 15-20 years we are telling you this from a point of significant inside knowledge.

You also don’t need to lecture to me and others like Dan Buster about the pro’s and con’s of the airline seniority system. Irrespective of my personal views on this subject, the unfortunately reality for you is that CX is a seniority based airline and you will have to wait your turn behind more senior pilots for your command. In 15-20 years time when your command comes up, your previous experience will mean jack sh*t in the whole scheme of things. If you meet the grade you will get a course. If you don’t you won’t. It’s as simple as that.