PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Round-the-World options ex DUB
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2012, 22:17
Gerry Lawlor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Response re RTW options

Thanks for all comments. I agree there are many options but having my own prejudices helps in narrowing the field a little. I prefer to keep to the obvious "top ten" airlines and avoid the more colourful options.

I have waited a few days to do a little research before replying. The suggestions have been helpful in kicking off the process.

Naturally, as soon as I attempted to freeze the plans a few spanners were tossed in the works. However, the main outline of the RTW proposed still stands- DUB-HKG-BNE-AKL-SFO-DUB. The NZ side trip will now be in its proper sequence. Having saved on the reverse flights I may now take a short circular trip into China from HKG if I can develop a suitable itinerary over about 1 week in late November – weather constraints may limit what can be done at that time. Any suggestions on that aspect welcome.

Regarding some of the RTW comments/suggestions:

Use of an Expert Travel Agent: I quite agree and have used Trailfinders very happily in the past. I would like to have some ideas worked out and understood before talking to them in detail. In any case being a sad person I usually enjoy the planning process.
Air New Zealand as a carrier of choice: I am interested in this having heard good reports of them generally and also of their Premium Economy product. The seating arrangement used by them in PE looks quite novel per the Seatguru website.
New Zealand Options: This looks like we will now take it in its correct sequence without any side trip. Thanks Hartington for the tips. However, as we may now be on our own we could stick to North Island and limit our visit to a week or so. It will be a pity to miss out on South Island I am sure but a week is surely too short there and anyway I am past bungee jumping!.
Alliances and Routing: Star looks the preferred alliance given the typical routings proposed by the various booking engines. Oneworld in contrast seems keen on forcing me to travel via Madrid! The itinerary proposed by Star's engine looks sensible and seems to largely involve Air New Zealand flights. Presently it offers me DUB-LHR (BD), LHR-HKG (NZ), HKG-BNE via SIN (SQ, SQ), BNE-AKL (NZ), AKL-SFO (NZ) and SFO-DUB via FRA (LH, LH). Having considered a flight to LAX to pick up a NZ flight to LHR I was surprised to find that the system still wanted to route me via FRA. In fact when I pushed it and tried a LHR to LHR RTW via LAX it still wanted to finish with LH via FRA! There is something strange about this!. It looks like a travel agent will be necessary to tidy the routing up. Interestingly, the Star site did always offer the option of choosing PE where available.

I will report back when I finally commit to a definite itinerary but I don’t expect to finalise until sometime in March.

Thanks to all for the friendly welcome and comments. They are much appreciated.