PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Innocent 747 Pilot Dubbed 'Security risk' sues BA
Old 21st Feb 2012, 20:25
MathFox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello scarrymike
How many lives and careers should """security""" agencies be allowed to ruin to prevent one killing by terrorists?
This is one the most absurd statements I have ever read and very telling of Matt's beliefs.
Scarrymike, that is not a statement, but a rhetorical question in an attempt to make people think about security. The fact that you liked to add a personal attack makes me wonder where you work.
I believe that 100% security is impossible and that we should accept some losses from traffic accidents, football hooligans and "terrorists". And yes, police and intelligence agencies should investigate crime (I file terrorism under crime... murder is murder, irrespective of motive) and bring criminals into court. Optimal security means that we have little to fear from crime, terrorism and our governments. In this case I see government ruining the career of a pilot. I can not form myself an opinion about whether that was warranted because UK government refuses (very democratically) to provide any information on where their """advice""" was based upon.
So, I conclude that UK pilots should fear arbitrary decisions of their government. Long live your new coalition democracy. (And my guess is that there's 90% chance that the UK became less safe, because there's one bitter ex-747-pilot around.)