PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA asks for a R6-billion handout
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2012, 17:23
Trossie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cavorting... " ...to walk, or slither and slide, along a dark wintery country road in Britain?" You've obviously throughly enjoyed the beers every time you've visited, haven't you??!!! Try walking on those roads a bit less 'tiddley' next time!!

"...and full of pot holes." Too much beer again: that was the fields that you were walking through... you'd missed the roads!!

"Down here you still can drive drunk." Hmmm... that'll explain the annual slaughter rate on the roads there!!

Several of the contributors above have got it spot on: it would be much, much better for the taxpayers there if their money was spent on things that improved their lives (like fixing those many, many pot-holes, some massive road saftey and crime prevention efforts, etc., etc.) rather than pouring that money down a bottomless pit like a state-owned airline. No real airline should be state-owned. And having high training standards is irrelevant if the airline doesn't have any rational business plan: I have known of many pilots working for airlines with good training standards that have ended up out of work as their airline went bust (that doesn't mean that good training standards are incompattible with good business as those doing well in business usually have amongst the highest training standards).

And this mindless 'proudly xyz' shows a shallow thought process. If you want to be proud of something then quantify it: I spoke to a pilot a few years ago who put it perfectly, saying "I'm proud to work for AB, but not proud of AB" (jumble those letters as you feel fit!).

So come on, get a taxpayers' revolt going and get that money better spent and give the business-minded airlines there a fair chance...