PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New With The Civil Tiltrotor?
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2012, 15:12
Lonewolf_50

Received 421 Likes on 263 Posts
OD, you may know that there was a move afoot, ~ 2000-2001 timeframe, to try and get a 609 (or something like it) built for CNATRA to use as pre Osprey Trainer, instead of the TH-57 & C-12 lash up currently used.

Part of the problem was running into Rummy's austerity intentions (before 9-11). There was something like 70-90 million to get that program going for an "off the shelf" tilt rotor trainer that ran into a couple of problems.
1. Uncertainty of final configuration and certification timeline for 609.
2. Some differences in the monkey skills chosen for V-22 versus 609, which I suspect you understand far better than I.
3. Building a simulator package on a timeline that was sane.
3a. (Dealing with the whole JOINT crap since CV-22 was going to be involved and JUPT USN/USAF momentum was picking up and lots of USN/USAF interservice training ... but never mind)
4. A bunch of other 'Orange and White' aircraft program priorities (A-C mod for T-45, and the NFO's wanting a new trainer to replace the T-39) that were going to get money first.
5. It died a fairly rapid death in the staffing process, and I don't think ever got to the SECNAV level for a look at money ... I don't think it even got out of CNET. (NETC?)

All this before the V-22 program ran into that much publicized "stop, go back, sort out x, y, z, and then move forward" set back to Osprey.

I don't think the Navy is going to revisit that idea for a trainer any time soon, but will more likely stick with the blend of multi-engine and helo, and adapt it via the usual curriculum modifications, since doing that appears to be one hell of a lot cheaper considering 609 the cost of operations point your raised.

Jet Rangers and King Airs are not all that expensive to operate.

With Panetta cutting where he can, APN 1 money for a TR trainer like 609 ain't gonna happen, particularly now that Bell, and the Texas lobby, are no longer in play for a 'buy American' option that tends to get political traction.

I have heard that order book for 609 is already 60 or 70, and wonder who it is that wants to buy one.