PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford Flight centre
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2012, 08:24
proudprivate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to get this straight...

Why the heck would you think they would make you a DIY non-precision approach at Stapleford?
The 'DIY' NPAs at Stapleford aren't exactly DIY. They have approach plates for a VOR/DME procedure but it is a 'training only' approach
DIY obviously has a negative, "illegal" connotation, inferring all sorts of nastiness about the Stapleford instructors, which was not my intention. I'm sure they are pretty decent chaps (once the booking reception gets their act together ).

By DIY I meant "for training only". I have never seen the training VOR approach plates at Stapleford, I just assumed something like that existed (traffic and airspace permitting). It's definitely something I would design as an instructor if my local airport had a nearby VOR, no VOR approach and the airspace would allow it.

I was trained at an airport that had real VOR, ILS and 2 NDB approaches, so admittedly I was a little spoilt. But my instructor took me to other VOR's and NDB's where we trained holds and simulated approaches at altitude + x000'.

And I assume the BBC Essex Radio "NDB" is still in vogue with the local training community ?

Southend is 10-15 minutes away! (Controlled and Non precision)
True, but that adds 30 minutes (£75-100 ?) to the training bill for each flight training session, definitely something to consider. Of course you can practice things like partial panel on the way there...

I think the ideal situation is a controlled airfield that is not busy and where the FTO / RF gets a discount for approaches. Failing that, it is a consideration of all pro's and con's and the practical workarounds discussed in this and previous posts...