PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford Flight centre
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2012, 21:16
proudprivate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I inquired about doing IMC training a Stapleford in early 2008. Made an appointment through the reception. When I showed up, reception told me they had no record of my booking, terribly sorry, no instructor available
Ended up taking a couple of £'000 of custom elsewhere. Their problem, not mine.

DA-42 - I've been told its easier to fly than the usual old metal, with no worries with prop sync, etc... But the IR-part is relatively mild at the twin level, anyway. Fly a few approaches and do a hold on a single engine and that is it basically.

Do you think that training in a controlled airfield would be better than training in an uncontrolled one ?
The advantage of a controlled airfield is that you don't have to fly very far to shoot a real approach and that the RT is for real. But I guess your instructor can set up non-precision DIY approaches at Stapleford and practice the RT in a simulated way so the travel would only be needed for ILS's.
The advantage of a non-controlled airfield is that the landing fees are generally cheaper and it is less hassle to depart when it is not busy.