PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deciding between Bristol and Oxford groundschool
Old 20th Feb 2012, 19:20
Graham@IDC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afro-anonymous you really don't get it do you.

So, you're cruising in an A380 and then all of a sudden an engine suffers an uncontained failure. The cockpit lights up like a Christmas tree as multiple systems fail. Grab the FCOM and look for the checklist procedure for totally screwed aircraft. Oops there isn't one.

Never mind I'll google AtpOnline, they must have a four option multiple choice question that'll get me out of this fix.

Jeez, I just despair at your kind of thinking. I wonder how you might feel if you, for example, break a leg and just before the anaesthetist puts you under you hear the surgeon say, oh I just did what I had to do to get the job - professionalism I wouldn't worry about that - it's all just slipped away.

You've clearly never experienced an in-flight emergency and clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about.

For any of you who think like Afro-anonymous you need to read this post by Tony Davis:

As an experienced MCC instructor of quite a few years and a Captain with two major airlines and an IRE/TRE on medium and large jets, I would like to pass on my thoughts about the standard of trainees coming out of UK flight schools with 250 hours. Most of you think that you are ready to operate in the RHS of something like a B737 or A320. From what I have observed you are miles away from it.

The lack of technical knowledge in safety critical areas is quite honestly shocking. I am not talking about how an RMI works or how to be a met man, but everyday procedures. Most of you know nothing of regulated take off weights (or mass in newspeak), what you would do if you had an engine failure after V1. You do not know the stopping distance on a foggy runway regarding red and white lights or airport markings. You have not developed any flight management skills and most of you don’t have a clue how to fly a SID or a STAR. You have no clue as to ICAO operations and PANS-OPS and a lot of you do not know even what ICAO is. The list goes on and on.

It is not the fault of the students in most cases. The training you receive now is all based on Rote learning and is totally cost driven. The failing falls at the door of the Authority for allowing the system to fail. The reason behind that is mainly cost driven and the lack of properly trained staff.

I have noticed that students from the third world are much more motivated (I suppose that stems from being close to poverty). If you want Europeans in the flight deck in the future then things had better change and fast.

I am hoping that the MPL will rectify a lot of the problems. The only problem there is that the European carriers are not really interested in sponsoring any large number of pilots. MPL is being taken up big time in the Far-East and that is where our future pilots will probably come from.

Quite honestly I now get quite scared sitting in the back as a passenger if anything should go wrong.

Last edited by Graham@IDC; 20th Feb 2012 at 19:55.