PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2012, 16:54
Danny42C

Chugalug (#2326)

The very last thing I am is an authority on anything! As you will remember, we were mostly young and stupid in those days, and tended to believe anything we were told without question. And my recollections represent this.

The gaps in my memory are frightening. For example, until I saw the pics on the link, I had no recollection of the circular plan of Carlstrom. Worse, they brought nothing back to me, and I must have flown over the place a hundred times. And the same with the hangars.

There was a "Relief Landing Ground", but I can't remember a name. It wasn't far from Carlstrom, but I can't remember in what direction. There we did our C&Bs and I did my first solo. There were half a dozen "fields" around, some with names and some without, on the map on the link. My log is no help, I just see Ex(ercise) 19B or some such, which now tells me nothing. Curiously, there was a second Dorr Field, it seems.
EDIT: Wrong! It was the Darr field I must have been thinking about. (Sorry, Cliff)

Cliff (#2327)

No authority for the "potential officer", either. But I, too, originally believed that it was just "trainee aircrew" (and that was the general understanding): but something fairly official must have come out to make me change my mind. And the "white" bit does add some weight to that. Again, there must be
somebody out there who knows the right answer. Let's hear from you.

What a nostalgic pic that was! There you were, both of you, full of the joy of youth (pity it's wasted on the young!). Those were the days, my friend!

This Thread is in danger of turning into a small comfy club - where are all the rest of you? Anyone at home?

Cheers to all,

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 20th Feb 2012 at 22:35.