PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC RATING
Thread: IMC RATING
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2012, 15:29
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio nav is standard as part of the PPL. I use it all the time.
Not here in the UK. In the FAA PPL, yes (did the FAA PPL 2004, FAA CPL 2007). Here, you do a little bit... VOR/VOR position fixing basically. Progressive schools teach GPS too, but most think it's illegal.
You want to try teaching it then, 152 ADF approach can be interesting, with a good wind.
Well, yes, if you want to teach somebody to fly for real, you do the minimum of NDB stuff and teach them VOR/DME/ILS properly. The bulk of the JAA IR is spent on NDB stuff and it is of almost no use. NDB procedures are flown with a GPS.
I'm just wondering how, in spite of Peter's authoritative statement, I managed to do so much flying as a microlight pilot for 9 years, then another 10 years as a VFR PPL, and briefly VFR CPL before I finally got around to my (admittedly very useful) IMC rating.
I bet you almost wrote that in your 10 years as a VFR PPL you never entered IMC

Nowadays, a VFR CPL is as useful as a chocolate teapot. It is just a passport to getting paid for flying or instructing.

Microlighters won't be interested in an IMCR. You cannot legally fly in IMC in anything like that and, looking at the build quality of 99% of the stuff which fills out 4 of the 5 hangars at Friedrichshafen, I would not want to