PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2012, 14:22
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a LOT of movement in every job out there right now, a good friend that is a captain at EK just confirmed that he received an email letting him know that they opened the floodgates for DEC positions again, that is very telling of what is to come in terms of pilot shortages in the international arena, people make decisions based on many factors, I was chatting with one of our captains on my last flight with him and after 10 years here he is moving on to an A330 DEC gig, he was telling me that was grateful for the chance when he got it and he wasn't leaving because he was mad, simply because after 10 years on the 767 it is the right time to make a move. Some people were expecting to be on the left seat after 3 years here and that didn't materialized, I'm sure that those guys and the captain I was talking to have very different perspectives about the exact same job, some guys will pick up and head to Emirates as DEC,s from here I'm sure, and maybe they will have a great time there and enjoy Dubai, I wouldn't take my wife and daughter to live in that society and subject myself to flying 900 hours a year, but I cannot criticize somebody who does it, everyone seeks different things from their gig, I look at absolutes as unrealistic, everyone hates it, everyone I fly with is looking to get out, everyone is happy, everyone loves it, all of those statements are simply incorrect because we are all different and are living at a different stage of our lives. Also the concept that a pilot will make a decision about his career from what people post on PPrune is just ludicrous, just as ridiculous as placing the application shortages on the "information" we provide here, people are always applying to this job, there have never been a time when the applications have dried out, sorry to have to find out this way