PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2012, 12:44
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
In 20-30 years time it will be 'Granddad, why do you smell of wee?' along with 'how much can we get for your medals on ebay?'

On the last point, I do find it so sad that families continue to sell, indeed, throw away proper medals from parents/grandparents etc. My Grandfather, who served throughout WWI had just a couple of medals and when his widow died about 40 years ago, my mad aunt grabbed them and pawned then for a couple of dollars. Never to be seen again - the medals, that is. I've tried to track them down as it would be the only tangible thing that the family had to remember Granddad (he died when my father was very young, in the 1920s). We have no photos and his rather grand discharge certificate which was restored and framed and was pride of place in my brother's study - until he died 18 months ago and his second wife decided to add it to the skip.

Although I do not collect military or medals, I have picked up 2 medals in Charity shops and tracked down the service history of the individual. No point handing them back to his descedants - they've clearly got no use for them!