PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2012, 12:13
YearoftheTiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year of the Tiger

I don't envy you your self imposed task, you will I'm afraid find it quite difficult to get any detailed drawings as they were long ago buried in the archives of two now non-existent companies - Sud Aviation and British Aircraft Corporation.

The best source of overall structure drawings I have seen is that on the HeritageConcorde.com site. which also gives some explanations of the structural concepts. The Haynes Concorde Owners Workshop Manual also has some interesting data. One problem is that the loading conditions on the various bits of the wing varied so much and the whole thing was so finely optimised for weight saving that there are many different structural concepts used.

You (and others here) may find a 1999 lecture given by Dudley Collard (a much respected Concorde design engineer) of interest. You can find it at www.svfw.ch/Archiv/ConcordeDev.pdf

Felicitations!
I agree with all of you. It's a very very difficult challenge, but I figured I might merge two things I enjoy very much: studying airplanes and being creative.

The modeling in it self isn't difficult, I've been doing it for many years. To me, proportions and correct dimensions are more important than detail, so the real challenge is finding drawings that show major structural components accurately.

As for the detail, ideally I'd love to capture it all, but that is impossible. In my experience helping friends who were studying Industrial Design in college, once you have the correct proportions down for the main components, you can continue adding smaller and smaller parts / details later on with relative ease as information on them become available. Whereas building the smallest detail and working up is a very bad way to start.

Thank you all for your support. I'll keep reporting back as I make progress. Hopefully I haven't come across too crazy (but a little bit is OK and probably a given).