PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2012, 11:49
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, you have the devastating authority of an Antiques Roadshow expert disillusioning the proud owner of an objet d'art! So other than the T&S and Altimeter my prized fully instrumented panel is basically a fake? Oh, the embarrassment and the shame of it all! I suppose to be fair to Mr Daniel, he did say that all the Flight Instruments are genuinely of WWII vintage, rather than genuinely out of PT-17's. Sort of a "They're all the right instruments, Sunshine, though not necessarily in the right place!". At least if it appears on ebay we will be forewarned.
The Florida Airfield site is indeed interesting. So many of the satellite fields were just that it would seem, simply fields and long since slipped back into obscurity by later agriculture or Mother Nature. Some of the larger Air Stations though form the basis of modern Regional Airports, with aprons that still reveal the star shaped paved runway patterns that were often laid. Sort of mini Heathrows!
Do any of the Carlstrom related fields prompt memories within you? Would you have logged them if you had done your circuits there rather than at Carlstrom, or did you merely log the activity carried out? My own Log Book I see merely does the latter, though much of my basic training was carried out at Barkston Heath rather than at its parent, RAFC Cranwell. A security thing perhaps?

Last edited by Chugalug2; 20th Feb 2012 at 12:59.