PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2012, 11:23
Argonautical

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The late Chris Dixon voiced an opinion on the weak wings of the Rhodesian Canberras during the "Green Leader" raid:-

"Oh Sh1t, I hope the fcuking wings don't fall off"

This web site has more specific info on the problem :-

Rhodesia Aviation

Here are two items about it, firstly about the crash of R2510 :-

English Electric Canberra B2. 'R2510' of N.5 Squadron, Rhodesian Air Force.
This aircraft was returning to the Airwork hangar in April 1971 after a flight test, having undergone major maintenance with Airwork who had the contract from the RhAF for this work. Many of the Airwork employees were ex Royal Air Force with years of experience on the British jet aircraft used by the Rhodesian Air Force. This particular aircraft is reported to be ex RAF 'WJ578 of 27 Squadron RAF before being acquired by Rhodesia in 1959. I remember the shock I felt when later that year I heard that this aircraft had crashed off the end of '06' at Salisbury on the evening of 16th November 1971, both crew members were killed, Fl.Lt.A.G.Roughead (pilot) and Air Lt.G.N.Robertson (Nav). The aircraft had suffered a 'Frame 21' failure, a crack within the frame of the main wing/airframe attachment point caused by metal fatigue. This became a serious problem for the Rhodesian Air Force Canberras, many being grounded in later years.

Secondly, about a T4, R2175 :-

This aircraft was grounded in 1974 because of a cracked wing spar, a big problem with the Canberras in the Rhodesian Air Force, brought about by metal fatigue in Frame 21 within the fuselage of the Canberra, this was the main wing attachment frame. A known problem as these aircraft were early Canberras using metal alloys developed during WW2, this was resolved in later Canberras, such as those supplied to the SAAF which utilised more modern metal alloys in their construction. Flights at low level in bumpy conditions which put a great strain on the wing attachments were avoided but many 5 Squadron aircraft were grounded as time went by.

Last edited by Argonautical; 20th Feb 2012 at 12:38.