PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safeskys...ANSP?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2012, 08:21
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
It's all going on slowly.
Before the ATC unit can be licenced, new equipment complete with safety cases must be installed. The weather station is already in and the new (duplicated) radios will be in shortly (they're currently sitting in boxes in the VCR). Robust procedures to clear the runway of 'obstructions' (not always J Clarkson) are being evolved; bear in mind the owners have no plans to licence the airfield.
Present service being provided is A/G; gisajob is paying quite a satisfactory amount for this (no, no vacancies!). Movements for Jan 2012 totalled 140 but this excludes touch and go's/go arounds so I would guess the actual total would be nearer 200 if you factored these in (there are several home based aircraft which often take advantage of the runway being clear to do some circuit bashing). Not a lot I know but it's increasing all the time.
There is a NOTAM in force requesting transit traffic to call Dunsfold Radio for traffic info. Even the military are complying with this; I've had Merlins, Hercules and Lynx call up as it's a popular area of the military low flying system.
Safeskys are also considering bidding for a FISO unit. I've heard a rumour where this might be but I can't pass it on openly as it is only a rumour and might upset the negotiations if it's released prematurely.