PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - best ATPL distance learning course?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2002, 08:09
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's what I did to decide.

First of all, I spoke to lots of people for advice, just like you're doing.

Then, I logged on to the CAA's website and got a list of all of the schools doing distance learing. I wrote to all of them, asking them a number of questions which I thought were relevant, and also asking for a sample of their notes, because I feel that the quality of the notes is the single most important thing for distance learning.

I heard back from all of them. Some got back to me immediately, some took a week or so. I ruled out anyone who took too long - for distance learning, I'd want to know that if I needed help, I'd be able to get it quickly, so response time was important.

Most of the schools invited me to visit them and look at their notes. Any who didn't, I ruled out. Only one school actually included a sample of their notes as I requested. I believe they send this sample to anyone who asks for any information - they weren't directly responding to my request - but the fact that they thought their notes were important enough to be included in their information pack says a lot about them.

Then I looked at the overall quality of the replies (which were generally standard information packs) from the schools. The best two happened to be the same two whose names kept coming up over and over again when I was speaking to people... they were Oxford and Bristol. I went with Bristol, although I doubt you'd have any complaints with either of those two.

Good luck!

FFF
---------------