PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B, Stuff that I have found.
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2012, 22:11
baswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am afraid that, as a great supported of the various uses of GPS, I am becoming progressively more aware that we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket --- which seems to be altogether too close to what Airservices are planning.
There is a time and place for everything. Relying only on GPS precision approaches at Sydney because you save a few million by turning off the ILS would indeed be stupid and it is neither the time nor the place.

Using the technology to bring that capability to a place like Broken Hill means the risk of a truckie that doesn't want their boss to track them and using a jammer is very low. At the same time it might well save someone's life as the RFDS would be able to get in at times they might not. (Or some other strip more likely to be in IMC than YBHI!)

And have good rules for alternates; you know when the signal is being jammed and most likely you won't have any trouble 100 miles away...

So yeah, don't be stupid, but also don't let it stop you from deploying this in places where the best you might have now is an unreliable NDB...