PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puma, Merlin etc
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2012, 13:17
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM,

Interesting reply. You say that:

I agree what the current MAA rules say, but don't you think in the future that it just makes sense to have an air minded senior officer, that has grown up in an air environment, with experience and qualifications in the air, as the person accountable and responsible to the SofS for the safety of military things in the air, not one that is used to digging trenches or sailing on boats?

No, it doesn't make sense.

These aren't the 'current' MAA rules. They're the rules. The rules from the independent organisation that is charged with setting down the rules. The fact that they are not rules you agree with is imaterial. They are the rules.

Now to the content. The MAA has clearly said that each service's COS is to be the SDH for that service 'by virtue of position'. His (or her) job is to build a proper DDH/ODH accountability structure to manage and deliver safe aviation. For my part, I am absolutely sure that the RAF can do that. So can the Navy and so can the Army, because they are all professionals.

They probably won't all do it the same way, because they are professionals and will adapt and build their ODH/DDH structures to meet their own operational needs. And that's a good thing, because it gives them all a chance to learn from each other.

And exactly what is an 'air minded senior officer' anyway? Care to define that? Evalu8ter poses a very fair question - FW 'minded' or RW 'minded'? Let me add mine. 'Manned' minded or 'UCAV' minded? '1Gp' minded or '2 Gp' minded?

What grates here (and as rare example I am going to admit to a grating feeling) is the inferred assumption that the RAF are the sole and only professional 'air minded' practitioners in the UK military. They are not. They are extremely good at what they do, and I take special care always to acknowledge that. But to infer that the FAA and the AAC don't know how to manage and deliver safe aviation is just, I'm sorry, poor. That sort of argument lets down the RAF just as much as it offends the other two services.

And it's exactly the sort of argument that is being deployed right now. It got started in earnest during SDSR and many of us know that it's getting worse. By the day. What bothers me most is not the existence of that argument. What bothers me most is that the aviation professionals in all three services are being let down, right now, by it. Because if the senior staffs are spending their time trying to snatch each others 'rice bowls' (and that is exactly what is going on right now) they are not spending their time making sure that the people at the sharp end are getting the kit, training and support they need.

Sorry if this sounded like a rant. It's not intended as such. As ever, let's all stay behind the people doing the business in the air, on the sea, and on the sand. The last most of all, because the bombs are in the sand.

Best Regards as ever

Engines