PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGNOS and LPV
Thread: EGNOS and LPV
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2012, 11:53
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10) Unlike in the US, in Europe all GPS approaches must be manned by full ATC service (not a FISO or A/G) when used, but needn't have radar. This will limit the rollout of GPS approaches outside those which already have some form of instrument appriach today.
Not actually true but de facto true

The UK CAA, and I believe any other European CAA, does not mandate ATC sitting in the tower of the IAP destination airport.

What is mandated is an approach controller "somewhere".

In the USA, the ability to fly approaches to unmanned airfields is dealt with by having a nearby approach controller. He is paid by the FAA which is in turn paid by fuel taxes etc. So the airfield with the IAP does not get billed for the service.

The same could be done in the UK but because we have privatised ATC, the employer of the approach controller will send a bill to the said airfield. The level of billing (e.g. the pro-rated NATS overhead of an ATC desk) is very high (6 figures a year, plus) and almost no "GA" airfield would be able to afford it, relative to the extra traffic it "might" generate.

An example is Biggin Hill which gets an approach radar service from Thames Radar, and gets billed for that. This is why Biggin plates say that the procedural service is available only if Thames Radar is not operating Presumably Thames bill Biggin at a flat annual rate so Biggin wants to get its money's worth Biggin is not a great example because they do have ATC in the tower, but Walney Island EGNL is a better one, where the on-airport man is a FISO and the approach controller is remotely located (and in paid by BAE, I believe).

So the chances of GPS approaches spreading to places like Goodwood are very slim. On top of that you have approach design costs, etc.

To make a breakthrough in this, one would need to permit non-ATC (basically AFIS or A/G) people to do approach scheduling, and that would be a very hot potato politically. It would be fiercely resisted, due to undermining ATC pay scales etc.

That seems like a lot of money to get a GTN650 or 430W fitted
I think a fully-integrated GTN650 in peter337's TB would cost between £11k and £13k + VAT - significantly less than he imagines. He doesn't need an EFIS H.S.I for Prnav and certification is covered under the FAA AML to include LPV.
It would be a lot more by the time one rips out the KMD550 MFD (which is not Garmin-compatible in the OBS mode) replaces it with something else, and sorts out all the other loose ends.

Also I would not install the GTN product because it is too new, is totally unproven in terms of long term reliability, and has firmware bugs which need to be worked out.

If pressed I would put in a GNS430W and perhaps one of the Avidyne MFDs (avoiding the one which is barely visible in sunlight - EX500 or EX5000?).

Or more likely wait till the GTN products have been out for a lot longer.

A 430W by itself is too small to fly with, IMHO. It needs an MFD. It is like my old KLN94 in terms of functionality (and a useless small screen) except that it is PRNAV approvable and can support LPV. The GTN650 is not much bigger; it still needs an MFD.

The bottom line is that GPS approaches are not operationally relevant in the UK and anywhere else I fly to, LPV far less so, and PRNAV is not mandatory (yet) for enroute airspace.