PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates going with DEC
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2012, 10:07
Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bagalito- yes, so what? You have lots of experience. Does that make you better than the FO with 9000 hours, who came to EK with left seat time?

Experience is a fluid aspect of being a pilot. How much value does each additional 1000 hours bring? How much 'extra' is that worth?

Provided that the FO's have good previous experience (ie. command time) then they should be easily upgradable. This becomes even more true as the upgrade time increases (as it will at EK) to 5,6,7 years and beyond. Take into account their experience on the EK network and there is no need for DEC's.

The need for DEC only arises when there are no suitable FO's OR--and it is a BIG OR--- EK decides that they can save money by hiring DEC's.

But I am sorry - these rants about 'having 19,000 hours' or 'I am a TRE' are absolutely irrelevant!!!!!!!! I am happy that you feel very self important but your argument is rubbish. Given anywhere from 500-2000 hours in command (depends on the individual) the 'quality' of the captain/pilot averages out quickly. We have all flown with lower time guys who fly well and know their stuff and high time guys who are are barely qualified-- and vice versa.

I would also contend, and EK proves this, that some TRE's are excellent and some are truly horrific.

So I am glad that you have 20,000 hours. I am happy that you are a TRI/TRE with lots of WB command. Good for you. But it doesn't make you more qualified than most others. In fact, I have found over the last 20 years or so, that the guys who spout off about their qualifications the most are usually the ones who barely make the grade.

Signed,

a captain with enough experience to know better

Last edited by Trader; 19th Feb 2012 at 20:07.