PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 19th Feb 2012, 09:08
Alexrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

I've currently just started my Honours year in Mathematics and once that's done I'm planning on flying over to the UK to sign up to the RAF or RN depending on which service will provide a higher chance of becoming a pilot (fixed wing). I obviously have a few questions.

1) When should I apply to join the RAF or RN if I want to start the training process next year? I read that it takes a while for your application to be processed, and currently it looks like online applications are non-existent as only a phone number is available.

2) I've noticed that in some cases there seem to be techniques for giving yourself a higher-than-normal chance of being chosen for fast jets (I'm not talking about just working your arse off during training, but rather taking certain training paths). As a lot of the people who plan on joining the RAF/RN as a pilot want to end up in fast jets, is there a certain path to take that could maximize your chances of becoming a FJ pilot?

3) Residency requirements are a big worry for me currently as I've read mixed opinions on this subject. I'm a South African citizen but a dual South African/British national. I've lived and studied in SA all my life, but my mother is a British citizen and South Africa is a Commonwealth country. Right now the fact that I am only a national and not a citizen would seem to make me illegible to join. Would academic and extramural achievement possibly give me a waiver and allow access to application? I know that this is grasping at straws but would past family history in HM armed forces also sway any decisions to allow access?

Thanks guys, cheers.