PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2012, 19:53
Chugalug2

Received 229 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, wrt your suggestion that there must have been a US Aviator called Carlstrom, after which your basic training field was named, Wikki as ever has the word:
Carlstrom Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and a further link to this:
Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Florida, Ft. Myers area
as to the instrumentation of the PT-17, I have drawn a blank for the moment, but I suspect others more capable than I can download a pic of the instrument panel at least, and most probably a link to the Pilots Notes. Does anyone know where Avialogs has ended up, as they used to provide such things? Wikki I'm afraid omits both, but does say that only 18 of the 3519 delivered were fitted for blind flying:
Boeing-Stearman Model 75 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the absence of anything more authoritative, here is a site dedicated to the USAAC Cadets, and includes a photo of a restored PT17 instrument panel, that includes ASI, Directional Giro, Turn & Slip Indicator, Altimeter, as well as engine RPM, oil temp and press, fuel gauge and a clock. Not sure what date it represents, nor indeed if it's correct anyway. Maybe it was the de-luxe top of the range option?
Army Air Corps Cadet, Pilots and Instructors: WWII Flight Training

Last edited by Chugalug2; 18th Feb 2012 at 23:58. Reason: link to PT-17 instrument panel