PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Notar -v - Tail Rotor
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2002, 20:07
Notar fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T.C.
I would have to agree with you, there is practically no difference between both systems with an antitorque failure in cruise. I know one pilot who had a TR failure during a 135 check ride in cruise and continued flight to the nearest airport to successfuly performed a run-on landing. The 902 manual tells you to perform a running landing in event of fan failure, not an autoratation. In an OGE hover, altitude permitting, it is supposed to be possible to reduce collective and fly fwd out of the uncommanded right turn. This might also be possible with the TR system.
It is at lower speeds that the fan output is required to increase the Quanda (I think thats the spelling) effect. "Experts" I have talked to say below 15-17 knots. I think there would still be some antitorque effect here from the rotor downwash over the tailboom even with a fan failure. So an antitorque failure at the lower speeds may not be as voilent.........but it still is an antitorque failure.

I think the safety feature of the Notar system should not be overlooked. There is less moving parts to fail. The 902 is direct drive from the main transmisson to the fan,no long driveshaft, and no angled gearbox. I realise it is early days in the Notar's life but to date there has been no fan failures.
That makes me more comfortable