PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2002, 10:03
Biffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharm-El -Sheikh Int AP

Having had a late hols for a week on the Red Sea I was discusted at the airport orocedures.
Not a million miles from Isreal, Jorden and a host of other dodgy areas to say the least, the security and the normal procedures where non existant.
Arrival was a do it yourself thing with baggage from 5 flights spread all over two halls.
Departure was even worse.
Arriving 30 mins prior to the transfer coach, antisipating delays, we arrived to a security check whith a long cue. Money however allowed bypass and entry into the departure hall.
Once inside it was obvious it was goinig to be anything but smooth.
For a fairly old airport it obviously had the technology with new air traffic tower and the lounges had large plasma screen notice boards etc but on no occassion were these used to indicate anything other than the previous flight pr even before.
Massive cues are fairly normal but these where not moving due to baggage not moving through the conveyor belts. This problem was solved by the whole line of passengers leaving their baggage in a pile in front of the check in desk and proceding to the passport control. Who knows what could of been placed on the aircraft not accompanied by a passengers bum in seat.
This was evident on about five occassions while we waited to check in and also happened to ourselves also.
This s not over reacting and I have photos to boot.
The actual check in was a pharse at which a passenger list was passed to us and we where asked to tick off our names. (DIY)
If indeed you where not sat next to each other then a small contribution would secure this pleasure to the disruption later to JMC crew who thought they wnew who was sat where for meals. minor I know but just goes to show a plan (OR PROCEDURE ) is only good if followed.
Thats my whine and as a an aircraft captain in the rotory world I feel very sorry for the fixed wing boys and girls out there who have to put up with this every day to allow the big companies to make cash.