PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sri Lankan A340 low take-off at LHR
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2012, 16:00
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard for me to tell how much of the drama in the photos is from the flattened perspective of a telephoto lens.

A long haul four engine jet is not going to climb like an ETOPS twin, especially with a full derate takeoff. Also, with a long plane you rotate slowly to avoid getting the tail, this will give you less than the textbook optimum initial climb performance but might keep you out of the chief pilot's office. Seems like some A340's have tailstrike protection in software but maybe this old one doesn't.

In years past I've seen the sim instructors coach some optimum rotation rate in the simulator at a light 'training weight' complete with fancy computer plots. 'You need to get that nose up faster to clear the obstacle.' Then, folks go out onto the line on a max gross takeoff and get a tailstrike. Like single engine taxi on the twins, this optimum rotation rate stuff goes in and out of fashion over the years.

It was claimed that United flew a 744 close to the Golden Gate Bridge in SFO, to me this looks like another telephoto lens illusion:

FAA denies United Airlines 747 put Golden Gate Bridge in jeopardy - National Airlines/Airport | Examiner.com

Once these near disaster claims get on the social media (like PPRuNe) they sometimes get momentum. Whenever the Blue Angels perform in a town with a bridge, there are always eyewitness claims that they flew under the bridge:

Rumors fly about Blue Angels and the bridge | The Post and Courier - Charleston, South Carolina

Blue Angel flight in Charleston: Under the bridge or not? | TheDigitel Charleston

Fleet Week: Do the Blue Angels fly under the Golden Gate Bridge during Fleet Week in San Francisco? - Quora

Low is when you can read the make, model and serial number of the lights at the end of the runway.
I can remember years ago out of MIA on the 727 taking off to the east with Caribbean hand luggage. Whatever was carried onboard didn't count on the weight and balance and the pax would bring TV's, microwaves and huge duffels of clothes. Staff also looked the other way on the overweight checked bags, it was a different era.

You could read license plates on Le Jeune Road as you struggled to gain altitude.