PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Nuclear Arsenal Down to 300 Weapons?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2012, 15:43
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
SAM XXV

I'm not sure which NATO you are talking about. Neither Switzerland nor Austria are members of the Aliance, but in the latter case, Austria is a troop contributing nation; indeed a numbe rof their personnel were injured recently during attack in Mitroveca, in northern Kosovo.

Norway is well armed and fiercely proud of its Armed Forces and although they champion soft power, they don't mind using it when necessary. Sweden, forget any concept of neutrality! They are not a NATO member yet, but may as well be. They participate din the non-fly zone and frequently their troops in AFG mix it with the locals.

However I agree with you that many European countries are (now) pacific states. This is because of their history. Step across the Channel, as you are about to do, and the histories of most central and eastern European countires is grim, grim, grim. I was reminded of this fact just over a week ago when I was taken to visit the former KGB HQ in one of the Baltic States. I've seen lots of cruelty in the course of my duties and have a pretty good idea of what man can do to man, but watching a video of a series of executions conducted by the KGB (about 2 mins apart) - shown in the execution chamber - was enough to make me sprint from the room get some fresh air (-20C), and then be sick! The point I an trying to make is that for countries east of France and Germany (and not forgetting their terrible histories), the last 20 years has been the longest period of comparative peace and stability (nothwithstanding the Balkans basket cases). SO this account why that some of them are not particularly martial countires, but they will also defend their new-found freedoms.