PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 18th Feb 2012, 14:32
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infrequent flyer 789

I am as yet unable to locate my quote (sic) from the source that mentions the a/c did not immediately respond to Bonin's initial N/U command. As he took control, you will remember, he input Up elevator and RollLEFT ailerons.

It makes sense from the fbw protection philosophy, as the STALLSTALL just after a/p drop indicates an AoA approaching aerodynamic STALL.

I continue to hold to the uncommanded Pitch Up theory of cause, especially when the pilot's inputs appear to have been additive, should the a/c autoclimb theory prove out. If the aircraft was not responding to PF's initial NU, I consider that to be evidence of the corollary to "Uncommanded", ie: "Not Responding".

Wind` shear can easily account for sufficient immediate excursions in IAS of 100 knots and more, an immediate explanation of loss of autopilot and acquisition of both STALL and OverSpeed (in that order) protections, IMHO.

I do not agree with the "PIO" idea of Roll dynamic. The evidence points to a chronic (controls neutral) roll to the right. An obvious reason would be damage to controls, perhaps a partially unstowed spoiler; these were intially deployed, then retracted, by Bonin.

regards

Aside. A possible explanation of the lack of concern of the PF re: STALLSTALL
would be the appearance (or not) of the STALL activation threshold on the speed
tape. This cue is not visible after ADR is rejected, leading to the possibility that it was visible, showed an obvious reason for the STALL warn, and hence his lack of comment. It would have remained only if the ADR's were still in, showing that the a/c, at least at this point, remained in NORMALLAW. It would support an airspeed corrupted by wind shear instead of ICE, for all that may mean to Thales, in their defense.
edit. pp29 of 3rd Interim report shows a graphic of steady PITCH @1 degree whilst PF is inputting his supposed "mayonnaise" climb.

Last edited by Lyman; 18th Feb 2012 at 15:48.