PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Restricted" licence such a bad idea?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2002, 06:57
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...and I keep hearing that on the one hand it's illogical that most of us learn on the R22, arguably the hardest helicopter to fly, and on the other hand that if we do it means we'll be likely to fly anything afterwards.

Since in the UK you have to get a type rating for every new type of helicopter, maybe we should make sure both instructors and students/pilots know that certain types are going to take a lot more training. In the fixed wing world, you could, legally, learn to fly on a C152, then buy yourself a Spitfire and fly it. If you had any sense, you wouldn't. I don't think this is any different.

But then, what do I know? I'm just a 300 hr helo pilot who hasn't flown many types. And perhaps that's the problem. If I had the money (which I don't, unfortunately), and if I wasn't a PPRuNer, I could buy a Gazelle with no idea it had potential problems, possibly do a conversion with someone who didn't know that either, and off I could go. And if that's the case, something needs changing, but by education not legislation.