PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2012, 06:23
stealthpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont agree with this as an SOP.I wouldnt fly with such an airline.I dont know of an airline that employs such a policy.
A lot of airlines have that policy, more will embrace it.
At mine it isn't FO/Capt its PF/PNF. Stabilization criteria are laid down- 1000' or 500' depending on the approach, as Kenny pointed out unstabilized approaches are still very common.
No harm in going around, it's not a bad word anymore. How does a go around call 'dilute pilot-in-commands authority'?

Matter of fact in my company below 1000' anyone can call a go around. Above 1000' the FO can suggest it, but the captain can continue if he/she thinks they can stabilize in time. But at and below 1000' if anyone calls a go around- you go around. Can there be a few bad (for lack of a better word) calls of course!! Whats the worst that happens- the aircraft goes around and lands behind schedule and the pilot in question gets a debriefing.
Why do we have this call? No need to look further than the AI topic we are discussing.
or Incident: Air Europa B738 at Lanzarote on Oct 31st 2008, departed runway on landing

The captain is in charge of the flight and he decides whether or not a go-around is warranted - not the first officer. Your company SOP needs to be reviewed in terms of the Human Factors issues involved.
I disagree, if your company implies the captain solely decided on a go around that SOP needs to be revised. A go around is just that, a go around!!
Yes the captain is in charge of the entire flight, and he decides most things. But what have we learnt over the past few decades (even 4 years?). Pilots make mistakes, people get fixated. It could very well be an inexperienced FO, heck look at the link above it almost always involves an experienced captain. The empowerment to call a go around IS directly related to Human Factors and is in the larger interest of safety.
A go-around is not as important an event as a rejected takeoff ..... it's just a go around.

Quite often a nervous nellie or inexperienced first officer will start yelling for a go-around when it is unwarranted.
Quite often?? If that's the case send the FO for extra training. Thats no excuse for ignoring an actual call.

Last edited by stealthpilot; 18th Feb 2012 at 06:35.