PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Website Part 11
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2002, 01:49
Chief galah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multicom procedures

The CASA info kit is rather intriguing in the wording of points 2 & 3. To wit....

".....it is recommended that any traffic advisory calls be made on the Multicom frequency 126.7"
and...

"It is recommended that you use the CTAF calls and procedures when using Multicom."

For a bold new step into the first of many changes, I find the use of "recommended" weak and misleading. Normally our regulators like to lay down the law by using "shall", but in this case they seem to want to avoid actually referring to it as a CTAF, even though it is just that in any other respect.

AND, of course, we can all remember the dimensions of that area to which we cannot refer!!!

Are we expected to make transit calls for every "aerodrome, landing or alighting area" (as they refer to them) that is enroute, if we are below 3000' AGL? That will require a lot of preplanning
from the charts, and a lot of frequency management whilst enroute. Maybe that's where the recommended comes into it, which means nobody will bother.

Hardly a improvement to the system, although I can't help thinking we're being set up for something much bigger that will relieve AsA of providing frequency monitoring over vaster areas.

Additionally, I find the info on AERIS fairly thin for my ops. If they can put METARs on there, then I think it would not be too difficult to bung the area QNH, er sorry, Enroute QNH, onto the AERIS system.

Any comments?

CG