PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rafale wins Indian order
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2012, 23:06
Lowe Flieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re Orca's question about British sour-grapes. Aside from the rumbling discontent over the issue of UK aid, I think the disappointment of India's Rafale selection may also be at least partly the dashed hope that another large Eurofighter operator might have improved or accelerated the development prospects for the aircraft, developments which could then be incorporated into RAF planes.

I accept this introduces an element of the 'concurrency' debate which has raged around the F35 recently, but not to the same degree I think. Some have commented that the EF is less developed than the Rafale, so making Rafale the logical choice because it has been 'de-risked'. This does not appear to have hindered F35 significantly, despite virtually everything, from performance to price through combat capable date, still being steeped in risk and uncertainty. New customers are signing up for its promise rather than pedigree. Given it's chequered development history so far, I find this remarkable.

But back to India's choice: If Rafale meets the specification and is 20%+ cheaper than EF, that's an easy decision for a buyer to make. Unless Dassault makes a mess of the final negotiations again, I don't see any way back for the Eurofighter. As a buyer I would be suspicious of a supplier who can now reduce their price when they couldn't do so before; and as a seller the price may have to drop significantly below Rafale to win the deal, which could mean you risk not being able to deliver what you promise if margins are too thin.