PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Europa Overrun: Final Report
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2012, 20:09
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to come across (as I assuredly will) as a cocky "been there done that" old f@rt, but most of us , with more than the minimum experience requested nowadays for Command jobs on dodgy contracts, have, at one (or several ) stages , pushed our luck & ended up on an approach where we thought "Oh sheet, why did I decide to do it this way"
Which stage we throw it away, in my personal experience, is governed by several factors, did we get away with it before (so assume we can again)/ did we "concern" ourselves previously - sufficiently perhaps to decide it is best to acknowledge our screw-up/ is our colleague participating in a way we can relate to & accept readily, by suggesting "game over" in a fashion that we as individuals don't see as a challenge/reproach, but rather see as it probably is I.E. a helping hand . As has been suggested, we have to also be sufficiently on the ball to realise that it is all going for a can of worms, but, no matter how knackered/blinkered we are, normally the co-pilot AND the machine shouting at you should be enough.
I am not proud to say that in an earlier era, where CRM was not so "refined" as now (although I think my own wasn't SO bad) & more pertinently , pre OFDM, I have completed approaches & landings that, if you were to take me back today to the "FIVE HUNDRED"point, I would throw away within a heartbeat.
In spite of , or perhaps thanks to, that, I am happy, as I guess that means, either due to personal development/experience/OFDM /or all 3, I am a safer Commander than I was 20 odd years ago. Regretably, some cultures/companies/individuals are a bit behind the drag curve.
No doubt some of you young uns will slap your forehead in disbelief when reading this accident report, or worse still the Air India Express, or the Phillipine A320 thread, or any overun accident report.
I tend to see it differently, and ,whilst remaining grateful that I "appeared" to have been able to judge when it REALLY was "game-over" (as I also did my fair share of go-arounds) there have undoubtedly been times when, had 1 parameter gone against me, I could indeed have terminated my career, if not my life.
Experience can only be accumulated via hours/calendar time. The current profit increasing/salary & status reducing /P2F mentality imposed on our profession by so many bean-counters ,does not take any account of what is being lost.
Experience is not gained by getting it right, it is gained, painfully, by getting it less than right, & less painfully, by observing & learning from, others getting it less than right.
These accidents are a big lesson to those of us who in the past pushed our luck, & they hit home very hard because we can see "there but for the grace of god", the ones who REALLY need to learn by them however , are those who, courtesy of OFDM /Rigid SOP's , or whatever, never got close & cannot imagine getting close.
When the Magenta Line /(Ryanair) SOP for every eventuality, generation, start taking contract jobs in Africa, they will have no "native" experience/previous screw-up-history to fall back on.

It is essential to always remember ,"It CAN happen to me".

Rant/ramble over, wishing you all a good weekend (whatever one of those is, unemployed = working in that respect ,7/7 all the same)