PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puma, Merlin etc
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2012, 16:04
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was watching this with interest - yes our airships did some extremly clever work to ensure our Puma II cockpits were saved, but despite being poorer than church mice were the politicians really going to do (another) political U turn, this time on SDSR. They didn't with the kipper fleet or with the carrier/harrier debate.

For the Prime Minister to stand up just over a year after publishing an SDSR report (that wasn't rushed!!) saying that the UK was going to have an amphibious capability and then say that the report got it wrong, and actually the nation does not need it (but will continue to fund many other inefficient HMG departments instead), was I think just not going to happen. He would be laughed at not only openly by Labour, but the nation. Just as we use the Battle of Britain to invoke memories, the Fisheads have the Falklands that continue to bubble away in the nations pysche - especially now.

As I have always posted, if UK defence wants an amphibious capability then quite rightly it should go to CHF and the Fisheads, and any other JHC dreaming of spreading maritime expertise throughout its forces is pure nonsense (just as all our Air Component TLT NITEX experience spread between the forces is now so watered down it is virtually invisible).

But if the Prime Minister really is going to stand up in Parliament and say that he got it wrong (or atleast his then SofS Def did ) then maybe he will get away with a U turn on getting rid of a UK amphibious capability, in which case who cares which service flys the Merlin, and then cost really does come into it and you might as well leave it with us. We can all do a best effort on the rare occasions that we might have to do something from the sea if really pushed, where the increased risk is accepted, but it would have to be the exception and not a normal expectation from defence and the nation.

But please, if this Telegraph report is true, then thank goodness as this has undoubtedly been the worst year for joint relations that I can remember, including going back to before the JHC days and RAFG. In my personal opinion it has been shocking, with poor leadership by our airships, with some bad behaviour all round and politicians that have been financially focused on years 1 to 4 at the detriment of capability and through life costs. Poorly briefed with incorrect or mis-information, no wonder in 10 years time we will probably be looking back at these years with disbelief.

I will say though to be fair the saving of the Puma was some extremely clever work by our senior leadership, well done and this decision, combined with our new buy wokkas should enable AMP's team to lead a managed path from Merlin cockpits to our shiney new aircraft. Speaking to those up the road, it is the basic fear of job security which is driving this under belly of resentment, not any real hatred of CHF. The airships might be looking to save station commands and how to grow the next CAS, but all the shop floor is interested in is their jobs, when are they going flying next and do the young keen thrusters have a career ahead of them?

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 17th Feb 2012 at 16:23.