PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trip to Northern Germany and Denmark, any suggestions?
Old 17th Feb 2012, 15:53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On some Jeppesen VAC (e.g. EDLD) there is a small "(ge)"
For instance
DINSLAKEN INFO 122.70 (ge)

Does it mean "you may speak German" or "you must speak German"?

I've checked the AIP:
"3. Language
(1) Voice communication in the aeronautical mobile service shall be conducted in the English language. (GOOD!)
The German language may only be used:
(GOOD: may not must)
1. On VFR flights and for taxiing traffic on frequencies designated for voice communication in the German language,
or
2. if the receiving person is not familiar with the English language.

(2) In special cases the Federal Supervisory Authority for Air Navigation Services (BAF) can permit the performance of radiotelephony communication in the German and English languages on the radio frequencies especially assigned, if public safety and order, especially the safety of air traffic, is not impaired thereby. The necessary details will be published by the BAF in the „Nachrichten für Luftfahrer“.
3) Radiotelephony communication in the aeronautical mobile service on radio frequencies of aeronautical ground stations not operated by air navigation services organisations is performed in the German language. It may be performed in the English language, provided that corresponding radio frequencies have been assigned.
BAD?: "not operated by air navigation services organisations": does it mean AFIS?

May I speak English if I visit EDLD?
EDIT: I've been through several VACs, and I'm afraid the answer is
(ge): must speak German (EDLD)
(ge, en): may speak German, may speak English (EDWB Bremerhaven)