PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help -I want to buy a laptop
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2002, 21:13
Carrier

> Keep in mind these are the Canadian model numbers, but the specs
> (www.toshiba.ca) match other model numbers that Toshiba releases in
> other countries.

I regret to advise that the above is not correct. Last week I contacted Toshiba Canada to see about buying a Satellite 5200. They refuse to supply it to the same spec as is available in the USA and Europe! They will only supply an inferior version.

To start with those other areas get it with a 60 MB hard drive but here it is offered with a 40 MB drive. I wonder what research shows Toshiba that digital video etc in Canada requires one third less space than in the rest of the world????? DUH! Everyone else also gets Works included, but not here.

On asking if they would supply one with the same 60 MB drive as elsewhere, 1 GB RAM and Windows 2000 their response was basically a very negative "take it as is or leave it". I have to wonder if this attitude extends to their (worthless?) warranty?

Here is a customer with a fair sized sum of money available to spend on a new computer being turned away. I have recently read that PC sales are flat and as a result computer manufacturers are introducing new features such as rewritable DVD to BOOST SALES - what fiction! Clearly companies such as Toshiba have so much business that they can arrogantly turn customers away.

Well, I am still looking for a new computer. Is anyone able to suggest any alternatives to the 5200 that have similar specs and performance? Perhaps it will be necessary to wait a few more weeks for the competition to upgrade their offerings.

In any case, any computer buyer considering purchasing in another country should very carefully review the specs to ensure getting what he expects!