PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2012, 07:59
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
The Argies are cleverer than we thought! Whilst we are distracted by a B-List celebrity who has as much credibility as, well, I don't know...they are developing tractor beams/death rays/exploding penguins in an effort to reclaim (again) Ilas Malvinas. Nothing will be gained by having a pop at ‘bonkers’ Sean Penn. I think he developed his ‘social conscience’ when he appeared in the rather good (true) spy story ‘Falcon and the Snowman’. Poor chap, never recovered.

Now back to reality.

Putting aside any military adventurism by Argentina (and I think we can dispel that notion for a while) it is clear that Miss Piggy is attempting to garner regional, indeed global criticism of the British ‘position’ over the Falklands. The US has an avowed decolonisation policy (the rapid indeed, unseemly, exit from British colonies post-war was allegedly linked to US fiscal assistance to the beleaguered British economy). Added to that, European institutions continually press for Britain to give way on its remaining overseas territories, such as the Cyprus SBA and Gibraltar. To illustrate this, in 2007-8, PM Brown – at that time feeling stung after criticism in European fora of Colonial possessions in the Mediterranean - had suggested to the Cabinet Office handing over the SBAs in an effort to sweeten a reunification deal. Fortunately for the FCO and MOD (neither of whom were consulted) the likelihood of reunification is fantastically low and the idea died a death.

So, if Miss Piggy continues to press for ‘dialogue’, the UK is unlikely to have many friends, apart from the French who may feel similarly exposed over some of their overseas territories. One stalwart supporter of the UK in 1982 – New Zealand – has not defended the UK position because of concerns on trade impact in the region; moreover it will not allow its service personnel to visit the FI in any capacity if they are serving with UK Forces (eg exchange or LongLook).