PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney ATC and PRM approaches
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2012, 18:26
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequencing 102

Blockla says...
If your SOPS are different then so be it, don't call visual, it's not a big deal, but it's very strange (and possibly difficult to fit the right spacing) when 5 in a row are visual and the next 5 after you are visual..
Haughtney says..
I am compelled to use the approach that offers the highest level of safety, regardless of operational expedience,
So, is it starting to gel? regardless of operational expedience
Next: Some seem to be under the impression that PRMs cause delays, when, in fact, PRMs are being used when the delay becomes large. Confusion seems to exist about what is causing the delay. Which brings me to what I believe is the crux of the whole thread- Profile uncertainty. Obviously, when too many a/c arrive around the same time, delays ensue. Delays. This is an immutable fact. How the delay is played out is what concerns people (because I really can't believe that gents here are so stupid to think that it is possible to somehow not have delays), and from what I hear over and over, it's because the pilot isn't in the loop and can't be ahead of the a/c and judge profile. Pilots often quote LHR as being the ducks nuts, where you hold until you leave the hold on a very rigid profile (prescribed speeds etc.). That could be how it is done, if thats what people want.* Yanks like their system , where you are put on a very long final, but (usually) know where you are regarding height/distance to run. That could be how it is done, if thats what people want.* There are other ways (some in trial stages) that would pleasantly surprise, as well. It's all possible.
*people means airline management, politicians, AsA management and....the public. All it takes is will. The will to hire the necessary staff . The will to change the necessary rules (think noise sharing idiocy- imagine how quiet CDAs from offshore holds to the correct runway would be...but I digress), the will to educate.

Disclaimer: I don't work in SY, or even Australia. However, it's amazing how common some themes are.