PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory questions
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2012, 11:31
All-The-Nines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altimetry Help

Good afternoon,

I think this is what it feels like to have mental block! I have just got 99 out of 100 altimetry questions correct, but I just can't work this one out for some reason. Maybe I'm staring too hard trying to find the right answer that I'm missing the obvious solution, but it's something I'd like to get clear in my head either way. You may ask why I'm so bothered when it's only one question out of 100 - well, because it's 'sods law' that it'll come up in the exam! This same question has been answered further up the thread, but it doesn't help solve the confusion in my case. Here goes:

"You plan a flight over a mountain range at a true altitude of 15000ft/AMSL. The air is on average 15C colder than than ISA, the pressure at sea level is 1003 hPa. What approximate altitude should the altimeter read (pressure setting 1013 hPa)?"

Now I'm quite good at remembering and re-arranging mathematical formulas as opposed to rules (just a personal preference), and so I use:

True Altitude = Altitude on QNH + [(ISA Deviation x 4) x (Pressure Altitude/1000)] and I've always got the answer to similar style questions spot on!

With the question above though, I can't get my head around which one of the missing components I'm actually looking for? We're given the True Altitude as 15,000ft, and I know that the ISA Deviation x 4 = -60, and so that means I either need to find the Altitude on the QNH or the pressure altitude, but I can't work out which.

Is anyone able to help explain using my formula? The answer by the way is supposedly 16,230', although I'm aware with these that the answers are quite often 50' out and you just have to pick the closest one.

Many thanks in advance.