PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help Save a Flying Boat Company!
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2012, 06:42
weloveseaplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Help Save a Flying Boat Company!

Gidday Gidday all,

We operate one of the few remaining Commercial Flying Boat Companies in the world but as our survival has recently and suddenly been threatened I'm requesting your help please. (Having a pregnant wife with the cutest of two year old babies, Aqua, allows one to humilate themselves on forums such as this in the chance of saving their company.)

It's Paul from Vanuatu Seaplanes here. Vana-where you say? Vana-here of course . . .

- Home

We're located in the balmy South Pacific nestled between the dictatorship of Fiji to the East and the French colony of New Caledonia to the West. Things have been going swimmingly until a recent brief inspection by an advisor to the local authorities grounded the plane, threatening the survival of company and family.

The irony of course is that at exactly the same time the advisor suddenly appeared and grounded the aircraft after the briefest of walk rounds I had flown in the World's Leading Authority on Lake Aircraft who provided a very positive assessment of the aircraft. The advisor and the authorities were aware this engineer would provide a report on the ship, but missed the scheduled meeting we had organised with them and were suddenly and mysteriously unavailable, did not return calls, and with speed never seen in this nation published the grounding letter without consulting with the guru who was in the country and known to be trying to see them.

This guru has dedicated his life to Lakes since 1978, having worked as a licenced engineer on over 200 different Lakes, reconstructed from total wrecks over 15, performs about 40 Annual Lake inspections, personally helps maintain about 12 aircraft around the world in remote locations, has 30,000 hours PIC, 14,000 in Lakes of which about 7,000 is instructing in flying well over 300 Lakes. The advisor has as far as I know never worked on or piloted a Lake.

The guru's opinion and that of the nations two top engineers working on the plane differ greatly from that of the advisor over the immediate necessity to do all the remaining work. So I'm in the bizarre situation of having the opinion of the Worlds Leading Authority on Lakes and that of our in country Engineers over turned by a walk around by someone unqualified on the aircraft as a number of people are quietly approaching me whispering of secret agendas behind closed doors. Being grounded suddenly now means I'm about to miss out on the largest number of flights ever as there are some 20 plus penciled in for a large wedding on a far off island resort shortly.

The aircraft was in for a combined 100 check and comprehensive overhaul and as further parts were not on hand the non critical work was to be deferred until when parts and maintenance could be scheduled in. Based on the advice of the advisor the authorities however are demanding that all work be done immediately before the aircraft flies again and that the salt water is just too harsh an environment for Lake's to operate in. We're seeking to convince them that the assessment of the Worlds Leading Authority on Lakes, our in country engineers and the historic record of the aircraft show that the aircraft is safe to fly until the new parts arrive and can be fitted.

So what help might you consider offering?

1) To convince the authorities that although salt water is indeed a harsh environment, Lakes do have a proven track record of operating successfully in salt water, I'm trying to gather of list of Salty Lakes for with correct care they have a great track record. Can you please post any information on Lakes that you know of that have operated in salt water in the following "Help Save a Flying Boat Company! Salt Water List."

2) To convince the authorities that although 21st Century standard manuals don't exist for the Lake they can be operated safely in a commercial environment can you please post any information on any commercial operates of Lakes you may have heard of please in the following "Help Save a Lake business! Com Ops" list.

3) To save the business financially can you please secretly post me the co-ordinates of any sunken treasure ships here in the South Pacific?

Out of curiosity I'm not the only one who loves the flying boat . . . we've been lucky enough to share that pleasure with this following strangers and hope that through your support we can continue with our family motto of "Raising a happy family while sharing our love of flying boats."

Advice in English -
Vanuatu Seaplanes - Port Vila - Reviews of Vanuatu Seaplanes - TripAdvisor

Tally-ho, bandits at 6 o'clock low
Thanks for reading this
Paul, plane and family

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help Save a Flying Boat Company! Salt Water List

VH-ETY 36 years operating in and out of salt water now owned by Australian distributor for ACF-50

N1236L 35 years operating in salt water at Evers SBP in New York. Still airworthy.

N8014D 19 years operating in slat water in Long Island. No corrosion at all after a detailed inspection.

N2596P 11 years operating in salt water in Destin, Florida. Aircraft is 100% and current flying daily.

N80MP 10 years and about 4000 hours operating in salt water in Florida keys for Florida Marine Patrol. Currently 100% airworthy flying in Texas.

N85494 8 years total in salt water. 3 years operating in salt in Korea, Followed by 5 years in salt in New York (adjacent to Evers SPB). Now 100% airworthy in Lithuania.

N8423Q. 7 years operating in Salt in Persian Gulf. Now 100% airworthy and owned and flying in Mexico.

N69LK 5 years operating in salt from Scandinavia to Antarctica followed by 5 years operation by Florida Marine patrol in Salt water around Florida. Now 100% airworthy in St Petersburg, Russia.

YJ-VSL1 5 years in salt water in Fiji and Vanuatu

N???? 3+ years operating in salt with Jimmy Buffet as owner. Still 100% airworthy today flying in Nevada

NONE of these aircraft has ever had an accident or incident as a result of corrosion, and all are 100% operational today.

Help Save a Flying Boat business! Com Ops list

17 years - Aircraft Innovation & Repair Services - USA - 12 Lakes
15 years - Air Whitsundays - Australia - 10 Lakes
8 years- Sounds Air - New Zealand -2 Lakes
5 years - Grandseaplanes - USA - 1 Lake
3 years - Coral Air - Fiji - 1 Lake
3 years - AirWaves - Australia - 1 Lake
2 years - Solomon Island Airlines - Solomon Islands - 1 Lake
2 years - Vanuatu Seaplanes - 1 Lake

Sunken Treasure Cordinates

PM me and lets go 50/50

Last edited by weloveseaplanes; 20th Feb 2012 at 02:30.