PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New With The Civil Tiltrotor?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2012, 02:52
ospreydriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, I'd love to fly one of these when my time in the big green gun club is up.

At the same time, I think its application is going to be limited. The 609 is going to entail some serious expense to operate, which means it will be limited to applications where the return on investment is sufficient to justify it. The Osprey fills a tactical role, plus the government isn't concerned with turning a profit. Private users aren't constrained by an enemy, and they must make a profit.

For most corporate transport, it would be cheaper to take a helicopter to the airport, take a jet to the destination city, then a helo to the meeting than taking the 609. Only the biggest, most prestige-minded individuals are going to pay the premium for the speed and convenience of the 609.

For EMS, most trips are relatively short and not at the max range of existing helos. Also, they get reimbursed through insurance or local government funding, both of which aren't likely to enjoy paying a premium. It would be useful in remote areas, but there isn't enough volume, and thus money, to be affordable unless highly subsidized in some fashion.

Deepwater drilling is definitely the big possibility. The Deepwater Horizon hurt American deepwater drilling a lot in the short term. Eventually oil price will go up to the point that deepwater drilling is both necessary and prevalent. That's the one good market for the 609 in my opinion.