PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Bomber dispersal airfields after 1968
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2012, 21:44
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
apart from the Bloodhound 2, which went mainly abroad, no replacement was ever developed. Missile age? What missile age?
Digressing slightly, the missile age was fine, in theory, at delivering punishment at the touch of a button and defending the bases through SAM. A big issue with missiles is that the SSM is a one-shot use-it or lose-it system optimised for just one enemy and a SAM defence cannot pursue an air policing mission.

The defensive benefit from the UK being an island extends to the ability to engage enemy forces at a distance from the UK. Better an interceptor at 200 miles than a SAM inland in UK. This was brought home when Hungary was becoming a western state. Her air defence was naturally confined within her borders as she is landlocked. The air policing mission was the preserve of a SAM 6 battery in the centre. It was the only unit that could react to a sudden incursion.

As we know, Sandys logic was flawed from the outset but not before the UK aircraft industry was almost destroyed.