PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2012, 18:49
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zooker.

There is much spare capacity at EGCC. A 3000m runway is standing idle for most of the day at present.
No-one from the north of England/Scotland wants to route via London.

Sorry, Zooker, but you are behind the drag-curve on this one.

MAN has very limited routes, and so if you want to go anywhere unusual or remote you MUST interline though an international hub somewhere - be that LHR, AMS, CDG or, indeed, some American hub.

But the trouble with UK hubs, is that they are all hopeless, and as international hubs go MAN is probably the worst of all. You can go to the US and to Pakistan, but thats about it.

Face facts, the UK needs a decent world hub with a multitude of destinations, and splitting that hub between LHR, MAN and BHX makes things WORSE, not better. There is no point flying from Knock or Cork to MAN, if the international leg of your journey is from LHR.

Jabird

Oh please! Can we focus on the day to day passenger experience, not some extreme case which is an operational matter anyway, nothing to do with the regular functionality of the airport.
Sorry, that has been my everyday experience of LHR, I have never had a simple flight through that accursed airport. Every visit has been an ordeal, which is why I avoid thebplace like the plague.

And my crazy transit experience is very real and pertinent. How many international hubs to NOT have an internal train system, to get from terminal to terminal? How many airports force you to go landside, to get from terminal to terminal, via the local tube system? The whole place is an embarrasement.

Mr Mac.

My own view re Borris Island is build it by all means another London centric project like the Channel Tunnel.

Unfortunately, this is typical of misplaced northern envy (and I used to be a northerner). Where did you think they would build the Channel Tunnel from, Newcastle?? The clue to the most logical location, lies in the name....

Last edited by silverstrata; 15th Feb 2012 at 19:03.