PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rafale wins Indian order
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2012, 15:11
engineer(retard)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AZR No problem, your English is very good. In my experience, if a programme is not on schedule the producer rarely shouts about it.

At the time of testing, Gripen had been about a while, Typhoon was just entering service with an Initial Operating Capability for Air to Air only and Rafale had been in service for 2 years. I am not surprised the Swiss reached the conclusion they did. The technological look forward is always influenced by the risk of achieving it and as technologies mature the risk reduces. I suspect if they tested again today there might be a completely different set of conclusions.

Regarding the Indian buy, I believe that Rafale reached also preferred bidder stage for UAE before losing that contract. I have no doubt that India selected Rafale because it met their technical need at the best price. At this level its more than a competition between aircraft capabilities, there industrial and political trade offs etc that have to be delivered.

I think that all 3 aircraft are elegant designs and beautiful machines and dislike the nationalistic rock throwing that goes on.