PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2012, 09:47
alemaobaiano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pb

I don't know how complete the report that you read was, but having seen the press release from the CATT, signed by a certain Sr. Omar Viviani, leader of the taxi-drivers union and Argentina's very own Red Robbo, this is obviously a political statement. Someone in the Casa Rosada said jump, CATT simply asked how high.

The "boycott" will apply to all vessels flying the Red Ensign, FI flag, or any flag from Bermuda, the Bahamas, Panama, Cyprus, Malta and a few other places.

The "boycott" will also apply to aircraft, so that's the BA flight to Buenos Aires off the menu.

The statement also refers to Argentina as a peace-loving nation, ignoring a certain invasion and a separate long-running territorial dispute with Chile.

Nobody has any concrete ideas, or even plans, as to how the "boycott" will work or when it will come into effect, nor do they have any idea how many of their members will actual go along with the "boycott", after all nobody bothered to ask those very members. This organisation doesn't even represent all port workers, so what disruption they are capable of causing is open for debate. You might have problems getting a taxi if you a wearing a Union Jack t-shirt and kiss-me-quick hat, but even then I suspect that economic reality will triumph.

Expect one highly publicised event, to grab headlines, and then watch as this idea fades into obscurity.

As a large part of the world's merchant fleet is flagged in nations like Panama and Bermuda who would suffer most if this "boycott" went ahead?

South America is an important emerging market for several key industries in the UK. We cannot afford to be harassed like this; Kirchner's whipping up of Mercosur is a major economic attack against us and should be viewed as such.
And the UK is a major market for South America too, hence the lack of any effective support for Argentina. She can't even whip up a majority of her own people, let alone MERCOSUR.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you propose?

TTFN