PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where next?
Thread: Where next?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2012, 22:18
BounceBounceLand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where next?

Hello fellow wannabes! In january 2008 I was on top of the world once the CAA Examiner said "Congratulations, you are a Commercial Pilot". Wow, The world was my oyster!! A few months later the Multi Engine Intrument Rating was in the bag. Just before the credit cards and overdraft(s) ran out I managed to scrape enough together to get a Flying Instructor rating, and as the economy hadn't quite itself, I walked straight into full time employment as an instructor. What a happy 24 year old I was.

And now 4 years has passed. I must admit, I love instructing in the skies across the UK as others are stuck in offices. But financially, it's breaking the bank. Whilst I know others would love to be where I am, at least getting some money to fly, but the maths just doesn't add up.

So what next? I've moved across the country for work, missing family and friends, work most weekends. If I was a realist I would have thrown the towel in ages ago, but I'm afraid whilst some spend their earnings shoving white powder up their noses, my drug is big and blue.

I guess I'm moaning a bit now, so I'll stop. I promise! But I'd love to hear from others in a similar position and how they have managed to make the next step. I'm 28, 2300TT mainly SEP, modular trained. And lots of my students have now made it to the airlines Unfortunately integrated was never an option as mummy and daddys finances have always been similar to mine.

I'm looking into airline jobs, possibly cabin crew or ground jobs, any ideas of which companies might be best to get into with a chance (somewhere down the line) of possibly getting a flight deck job? Thanks for any help no matter how small